VISION AND HISTORY
The Tall Chief Theatre was built by Alex Tallchief in 1928, three years after the last accused murderer involved in the so called Osage “reign of terror” was convicted. During five years in the 1920s almost 100 Osage Indians in an around Fairfax, Oklahoma were killed for their oil money. The most notorious murders were described in the best-seller Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage murders and the Birth of the FBI. It will gain even more notoriety when Martin Scorsese’s movie about the murders is released in the near future. The Theatre served as a beacon of hope to lift the fear that settled over the town. It had a spacious stage for live theater and large screen for movies. Alex’s daughters, Maria and Marjorie Tallchief performed there as youngsters and again as adults on their occasional visits after they went on to become world renowned ballerinas in the 1950s and 60s. Plans are for the Theatre to become the Maria and Marjorie Tallchief Performing Arts & Event Center and the adjoining former bank building to house the National Memorial to the Osage Victims of the Reign of Terror.